The Miami County Park District protects and utilizes over 2,000 acres of land in Miami County.

stillwater prairie

Places to go

The agency's permit program authorizes uses on Park District land that provide a benefit to members of the community and protect public and natural resource values.

If you are considering one of the Miami County Parks for one of the below activities, you will need to apply for a permit. It is imperative that you plan early as our shelters and activity schedule fill up fast. A permit is not valid until approved and issued by a Miami County Park District staff. Please send an email to or call our office at (937) 335-6273 to get this process started.



Small wedding ceremonies (maximum of 60 people) may be held at most Miami County Parks. See a full listing of the Parks by visiting the Parks tab. You may also hold a small reception or wedding ceremony in a reservable shelter (see shelter rules and regulations/permitting). Please view the Wedding Information document for more information. A non-refundable fee of $100 for county residents and $200 for out-of-county residents will need to be made before a date is reserved.


You must receive permission to shoot portrait and commercial photography or video productions in our facilities. For more information on this new requirement view this brochure.

  • Single Use Permit (good for 7 days) - $25
  • Annual Permit (1 calendar year) - $100
  • Daily Video - $50
  • Not sure if you need a permit? View our Photography Policies.

If you determine that you need a permit please complete the Commercial Photography Permit. Return the completed form and payment to 2645 E. St. Rt. 41, Troy, OH 45373 or email to - payment can be made over the phone. We accept cash, check or credit card.

Location Maps

The below aerial maps will show you areas that are restricted from off trail use due to sensitive plant material and/or delicate historical structures.

Shelter Reservations

There are two parks, Garbry Big Woods Reserve and Stillwater Prairie where you can reserve a shelter. Three shelters are available at Garbry Big Woods Reserve (Buckeye, Sugar Maple and Bur Oak) and one at Stillwater Prairie Reserve (Big Blue Stem). Permits are required to ensure a reservation. Parties without Shelter Permits must vacate the shelter if a party with a Shelter Permit for that day and time arrives. A $75.00 fee applies to all Non-Miami County residents (no fee applies to Miami County residents). Maximum occupancies do apply. Each shelter will seat approximately 30 guests comfortably. Please call 937-335-6273 or email to see available dates. Then fill out a special use permit.

   Rules & Regulations for Shelter Use

  • CANCELLATION: Call 937.335.6273 Monday - Friday, 8 a.m. - 4 p.m. to cancel or notify of changes. Voice mail is available at this number after hours.
  • TIME SCHEDULE: Arrival and departure dates and times should be adhered to as closely as possible. All patrons MUST be out of the park prior to closing time.
  • FIRES: No open fires are permitted. Grills are provided for your convenience.
  • GOOD ORDER: Area must be cleaned prior to leaving.
  • NATURAL FEATURES: Please stay on designated trails; do not disturb natural areas; it is not permitted to remove plants or animals from the park.
  • ALCOHOL: No Alcohol is permitted in the park.
  • PESTICIDES: No spraying is permitted.
  • PETS: Are welcomed on a leash.
  • PARKING: Is available in spaces provided. No parking on grass or driving out to shelter location.
  • AMPLIFIED MUSIC: Is not permitted in shelters or parking lot. 
  • Note: Failure to adhere to this permit may result in fines and/or ejection.
  • Note: If permit is mailed to you, the yellow signed copy must be returned within five (5) working days. If an out-of-county fee applies, please enclose a check for $75.00. Otherwise, the reservation will be cancelled.


Special Event

To hold any event in any Miami County Park District facility, including festival, competition, ticked event or community gathering, with an expected attendance of more than 100 people you must complete an activity/event application. Charges may apply. 

Private Program

To conduct any meeting, training or outing with more than 50 people, please submit an activity/event application. Charges may apply. 

Public Program

To conduct any public class, sporting event, performance, organized recreations competition (5k, etc.) with an expected attendance of less than 100 people please complete and submit an activity/event application. Charges may apply. 


Geocaching is a great way to take gaming adventure outside. If you are interested in placing a geocache in a Miami County Park District Park please read the geocaching instructions and fill out an application.  


To conduct scientific research in any Miami County Parks please complete a research and collecting permit

Mushroom/Berry Picking

Mushroom permits are granted on the first business day of each year, either by speaking with our office staff at (937) 335-6273 or stopping by the Lost Creek Office, 2645 E. State Route 41 Troy, beginning at 8 a.m. No mail-in requests or voice messages will be accepted. Mushroom & Berry permits are granted only to Miami County residents. Permits are only available for Stillwater Prairie Reserve, Charleston Falls Preserve and Lost Creek Reserve and are limited to 30 Miami County residents per Park, per year. The 2017 permits will be available starting at 8 a.m. on Tuesday, January 3rd 2017. You must speak to a Park District staff at the Lost Creek Office in order to request a permit. 

More Information

Please be aware the Miami County Park District is a tax-supported public body and that its primary obligation is to serve the general public at large. As a public body our responsibility is to place the welfare of the general public before that of any special interest group. Accordingly, decisions made regarding your application and components thereof will be based on this premise at the sole discretion of Miami County Park District.

For more information or to make a reservation please contact us at 937-335-6273 or send an email including information regarding your requested booking (activity, date, time, number of people, location). Permits are NOT valid until approved by a Miami County Park District staff.

Your Feedback Is Important

In an effort to provide the best possible customer care, we would like to hear how you think we are doing. If you have a complaint, please use this form. If you have a positive experience you would like to share, please use this form. You can return it by emailing it to or you can mail or drop of the form to: Miami County Park District - Administration Office, 2645 E. St. Rt. 41, Troy, Ohio 45373. Thank you for helping us to serve you better!