Frequently Asked Questions

1. What parks are under Miami County Park District jurisdiction?

Miami County Parks include:

  • Charleston Falls Preserve - 2535 Ross Road, Tipp City
  • F.L. Blankenship Riverside Sanctuary - 4112 St. Rt. 48, Covington
  • Farrington Reserve - 1594 W. Peterson Road, Piqua
  • Garbry Big Woods Reserve - 6660 Casstown-Sidney Road, Piqua
  • Garbry Big Woods Sanctuary - 2540 E. Statler Rd., E. of Piqua
  • Goode Prairie Preserve - 10354 Union-Church Road Covington
  • Goode Prairie Reserve - 8910 Bradford Bloomer Road, Bradford
  • Great Miami River Recreational Trail - 901 Dye Mill Rd. & 970 St. Rt. 202, Troy
  • Greenville Falls State Scenic River Area - 9140 Covington-Gettysburg Road, Covington
  • Hobart Urban Nature Preserve - 1400 Tyrone, Troy
  • Honey Creek Preserve - 4536 St. Rt. 202, Tipp City
  • John A. Wannemacher Preserve - 1876 Monroe-Concord Road, Troy
  • Lost Creek Reserve & Knoop Agricultural Heritage Center - 2385 E. St. Rt. 41, Troy Office hours at 8 a.m. - 4 p.m. Monday through Friday.
  • Maple Ridge Reserve - 10430 St. Rt. 185, Covington
  • Springcreek Confluence Off-Channel Wetlands - 1670 Troy-Sidney Rd, Troy (Entrance at Duke Park)
  • Stillwater Prairie Reserve - 9750 St. Rt. 185, Covington
  • Stillwater Prairie Reserve Rangeline Road Access - 7790 N. Rangeline Road, Covington
  • Twin Arch Reserve - 3147 N. CR 25A, Troy

Parks within city limits are not under Miami County Park's jurisdiction with the exception of Hobart Urban Nature Preserve, which opened June 4, 2007 within Troy city limits. For information on city parks, call the city government offices.

2. Can you give me directions to the parks?

Yes! Each park page on the website includes directions to that park or simply give us a call at: 937-335-MCPD (6273) Monday through Friday from 8 a.m. to 4 p.m. Find the Miami County map with park locations here. Park Location Map

3. What time are the parks open?

The parks open at 8:00 a.m., 365 days a year. The closing time of the parks varies day to day as the parks close at sunset. The closing time can be found at each entrance along with the park sign. If you are still unsure about when to leave, ask a staff member or keep a close watch on the sky. Office hours at 8 a.m. - 4 p.m. Monday through Friday.

4. I want to get involved with the parks, what can I do?

If you're interested in the parks, consider joining the Volunteers-In-Parks programs (VIP's). VIP's organize educational and fun events designed for the entire family. Many associations and business also volunteer time in the parks, such as the Girl/Boy Scouts, American Honda Motor Company, RT Industries, US Bank, Tipp City High School Interact Club and the Upper Valley Career Center. Just contact Mindy Weaver, Community Outreach Coordinator at 937-335-MCPD (6273) for more information.

5. What do I do about nuisance animals?

Miami County Park District personnel are not trained to deal with nuisance animals. The best thing to do is to call the Ohio Department of Natural Resources (ODNR), Wildlife Division 5. The Wildlife Officer for Miami County is Jasmine Grossnickle.  You can reach ODNR at 937-372-5639 ext. 5215.

6. Are dogs allowed in the parks?

Dogs are welcome on the park trails (with the exception of Garbry Big Woods Sanctuary, where they are not permitted due to trail width, etc.), provided they remain on their leash. Keep our trails clean and beautiful by packing out what you pack in - that includes anything your dog might have deposited along the way. Remember, Leave No Trace.

7. Is a fishing license required in the parks? 

A fishing license is not required to fish the Miami County Park District ponds., HOWEVER, a license is required if fishing in any of the rivers because they are owned by the State. You are able to keep any fish you catch from our ponds with the exception of bass which must be at least 14" to keep.